Monday, November 22, 2021

Daisy: I Put That Sh*t on EVERYTHING

Considering my stated annoyance with products that weirdly undersell themselves in the last post, you'd think that I'd appreciate a company going all the way in the other direction.  You'd be wrong.

 

To be fair, I do kind of appreciate the earnestness on display here.  But it is possible to go too far.

Song: "With Daisy Sour Cream, every bite gets better / every dollop, every dip, every moment together"

Building an entire ad campaign around the word "dollop," which I can't say I necessarily associate with appetizing food amounts, is certainly a choice.  I'm also baffled by the choice to make this song - which is really just nauseatingly committed - diegetic.  I would probably be at least ten percent less annoyed if I didn't have to see these ridiculous people lip-syncing to the fucking Daisy Sour Cream song like it's their favorite pop hit.  Just have them dancing around the kitchen!  It's fine!  Why do we also need to pretend this song is good?

Song: "Top it off, take a dip, tastes so good, it's a hit when you do / Do a dollop of Daaaaaaaisy"

The amount of sour cream these people have in their fridge (along with bowls of loose produce, the way everyone definitely does in real life) is pretty alarming, although kudos for not having one of those commercial fridges that contains nothing but the product being pitched.  But I guess you need that much sour cream when you are putting one to two tablespoons' worth on absolutely everything you're eating.  Maybe this family simply is to sour cream what the Stotler family is to milk.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the amount of food.  I was watching this ad expecting a party to break out - there are tacos, baked potatoes, a vegetable plate, multiple bowls of chips and dip, steaks... and this is all apparently for four people, one of whom is what, six years old?

Song: "Good food tastes better with a dollop of Daisy / Do a dollop, do, do, a dollop, yeah"

Wait, only good food?

Song: "Everything tastes better with a dollop of Daisy!"

Oh, okay.  That's a relief.

Having watched this more times than I care to admit, I guess this is actually two different families, so I'm forced to withdraw my concern regarding the amount of food to some extent, although the table at the end still features an awful lot of food - baked potatoes and green beans and a salad and a crudites platter AND a bread basket?  Also, while the (I'm assuming they're supposed to be) father and daughter in the beginning actually seem to be putting sour cream on everything they're eating, the family at the end is really using surprisingly little given the song.  Let's see some sour cream on that salad!  Why do you even have two containers out on the table if you've already added a sedate amount to your baked potatoes and seem to be set?  I guess you never know when the mood might strike and you might want to ladle some into your lemonade.

As silly as having a song like that about sour cream is, it could be worse.  This one is a couple years old at this point, but insane jingles never go out of style:

 

Berries are literally sold in plastic containers, right?  Why did you need to dirty multiple bowls solely for storage purposes?  Okay whatever.

Song: "Only Daisy cottage cheese will do / only Daisy cottage cheese will do"

Can we be really honest about something?  When was the last time you purchased cottage cheese?  When was the last time anyone under the age of 60 did?  Obviously they wouldn't still make it if someone weren't buying it, but while I can recall cottage cheese in the house when I was a kid, I have never purchased it even once as an adult as far as I remember.  There's a reason for that, by the way, which is that it's kind of weird and gross and I don't see a single use of it in this commercial where I wouldn't rather use yogurt (that parfait) or crème fraîche (that avocado/tomato toast thing which to be fair I would never eat in a million years anyway) or even Daisy sour cream!

Song: "Satisfying and fresh / So creamy and delish"

Fuck you.  Also, I love that the food being shown during this line is a massive pile of diced vegetable chunks with some cottage cheese dumped on top, aka History's Most Depressing Lunch.  This is probably a pretty big clue as to who the commercial is actually trying to appeal to - you can tell me it's "satisfying" and "creamy" all you want, but that pile of rabbit food screams "Hey dieters!  Cottage cheese!  You need some calories if you don't want to faint in the office at 3 pm!"

Song: "Only Daisy cottage cheese will do / only Daisy cottage cheese will do / so tasty, so pure / can I have a little more / only Daisy cottage cheeeese..."

The implication in this last part is that people are having chips with a cottage cheese dip and eating lasagna made with cottage cheese, both of which are absolutely horrifying concepts.  I'm actually a little surprised this commercial doesn't make it a lot clearer that cottage cheese is supposed to be a "light option," because there's no way in a million years that I would even consider making cottage cheese lasagna normally.  This is the kind of ad that should have one of those voiceovers that's like "Daisy cottage cheese has half the calories of [whatever it's replacing] and tasted better in a national survey!"  But I guess when you have a solid gold hit pouring out of the speakers, there's just no room for anything else.  Only "Only Daisy Cottage Cheese Will Do" will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is this the laziest commercial of all time?

Okay guys, we've got a tough task. We're being asked to sell one of the most boring, functional, everyone-needs-it-but-no-one-thinks...